Displaying episodes 31 - 53 of 53 in total

S1 E23 - My Story Will Die if I Don't Tell It (Part 2) - Eva Gregg

Eva Gregg, an Alaska Native, University of Alaska Anchorage (UAA) alumna, and Social Worker, shares a deeply moving personal journey she has confronted head on and documented in her UAA ePortfolio, “Eva’s Life Journey.” Her story is poignant to say the least, and so we take this time to share with you a journey of resiliency, perseverance, and rising above in order to give back. “My story will die if I don't tell it. It's a story of lots of pain, lots of victories, lots of experiences. Each and every one of those instances or pivotal moments have shaped me into the woman that I am today. And if I took one of those things away--whether it be a good experience or awful experience--then I wouldn't be who I am today.”

S1 E22 - My Story Will Die If I Don't Tell It (Part 1) - Eva Gregg

S1 E21 - Teaching at the Epicenter: Reflections on the Pedagogy (Part 3) - Michael Yarbrough

Michael Yarbrough, Associate Professor in the Political Science Department at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, tells a story not of teaching despite COVID-19 but rather centering a course on the realities of the outbreak because, for Michael, “what higher education is really about is the conditions of human existence.” The resulting project, “COVID-19 at CUNY: A Class Project,” is an archive of text conversations, audio recordings, and video recordings depicting the impact of the pandemic as it played out in the lives of the students and their families. Situated in New York City as it became an epicenter, Michael’s students embarked upon a collaborative project about their experiences during the unfolding pandemic and resulting quarantine. As the class was thrust into a rapidly changing world, the stated learning outcomes of the course no longer seemed relevant. “Instead, to have a space where they could process what they were experiencing and see the larger lessons that [awaited] our country and our world, and the individual experiences that each of our students were having at that time” became imperative. Two of Michael’s former students and now John Jay alumni, Monica Guzman-Reyes and Sally Olivo, joined in to describe how the class came together as a community to create this published work that has now been shared widely on social media.

S1 E20 - Teaching at the Epicenter: The Student Experience (Part 2) - Michael Yarbrough

Michael Yarbrough, Associate Professor in the Political Science Department at John Jay College of Criminal Justice, tells a story not of teaching despite COVID-19 but rather centering a course on the realities of the outbreak because, for Michael, “what higher education is really about is the conditions of human existence.”

S1 E19 - Teaching at the Epicenter: The Professor and the Project (Part 1) - Michael Yarbrough

S1 E18 - Rethinking How You Teach: It's All About the Students (Part 2) - Jordi Getman-Eraso

Jordi Getman Eraso, Professor of History and the inaugural Director of Online Learning at Bronx Community College, tells us about the moment that he, as an educator, realized, “Oh wow, I've been doing this all wrong.” Jordi explains his path to rethinking how he teaches; acknowledging the importance of empathy and context, empowering students to grow their confidence, and embracing the idea that failure is not a barrier but rather a gateway to success. Most importantly, remembering that, in the end, it’s all about the students. Now, as higher education changes--evolves--in response to COVID-19, Jordi encourages faculty to use the time to build and grow their online pedagogy. “How can we actually take these difficult moments and turn them into something positive?” Higher education has the capacity to be transformative not only for the students but also their faculty.

S1 E17 - Rethinking How You Teach: It's All About the Students (Part 1) - Jordi Getman

S1 E16 - There's Nothing That Can Stop Me if I'm True to Myself (Part 2) - Zakia Mahabub

Join us as Zakia Mahabub, LaGuardia Community College (LAGCC) alumna and Student Success Mentor, takes us on her journey of unexpected setbacks, finding motivation to learn and grow, and using that drive to inspire and support others in her role as a mentor. While harnessing a deep desire to reach her personal goals, she mentors LAGCC students to embrace the campus community, their identity as students, and the notion that everyone--regardless of their background--belongs and can succeed. “If I just gather my skills and if I keep my confidence, I can move forward. There's nothing that can stop me if I'm true to myself.”

S1 E15 - There's Nothing That Can Stop Me if I'm True to Myself (Part 1) - Zakia Mahabub

S1 E14 - Meeting Students Where They Are: Building Community in an Online World (Part 2) - Karen Gonzalez

Karen Gonzalez, ePortfolio Assistant at the CUNY School of Professional Studies, shares her inspiring journey as not only an assistant but also a mentor, cheerleader, guide, and, oftentimes, friend. In her eyes, “it doesn't matter where you are [physically located], it's really about engagement.” Encouraging primarily non-traditional, e-learning students to reflect on their learning, consider key takeaways, and pick apart the essential connections from course-to-course is her objective. “It doesn't matter how long it takes, I think it's really about finding those points of connection for them. An e-portfolio helps them do that and I think that experience is what creates a sense of belonging.”

S1 E13 - Meeting Students Where They Are: Building Community in an Online World (Part 1) - Karen Gonzalez

S1 E12 - Who Am I Becoming? How Do I Get There? (Part 2) - Pablo Avila

Pablo Avila, Associate Director of ePortfolio and Digital Learning at LaGuardia Community College, discusses how they have harnessed ePortfolio as a venue for students to take ownership, become agents in their learning, develop their professional and academic identities, and instill a sense of campus community. The ePortfolio is not simply a course or program requirement, it’s a “place where the student is thinking about ‘Who am I?’; ‘Who am I becoming?’; and, ‘How do I get there?’” 

S1 E11 - Who Am I Becoming? How Do I Get There? (Part 1) - Pablo Avila

S1 E10 - Be Passionate. Get Involved. Make an Impact - Jack McNeil

Jack McNeil, Digital Director at the Illinois Senate Democratic Fund and DePaul University alumnus, encourages learners to be passionate, get involved, and apply their ideals to everyday life. With a focus on progressive Black political and legal leaders and a mission to impact politics, Jack tells us about his journey to get involved and make a difference.

S1 E09 - Something Better is Waiting for Us in the Future - Michaela Clarke

Michaela Clarke, a DePaul University alumna, talks about her passion for racial justice and mission to create change in the world: "Something better is waiting for us in the future, we just have to create it, and we have to be willing to work with each other to create that future."

S1 E08 - Empower Students to Ask Good Questions (Part 2) - Lori Pierce

Lori Pierce empowers her students to find their own voice by asking good questions, embracing a pedagogy in which she shouldn’t always be in control, not all questions have answers, and often the best question is, “So what?”

S1 E07 - Empower Students to Ask Good Questions (Part 1) - Lori Pierce

S1 E06 - We Have to be Able to SEE Our Students (Part 2) - LaToya Brackett

LaToya Brackett sees her students for who they are, meets them where they are, and harnesses positive affirmation to empower their voices.

S1 E05 - We Have to be Able to SEE Our Students (Part 1) - LaToya Brackett

S1 E04 - You Matter, Your Story Matters (Part 2) - Paul Wasko

Paul Wasko creates space for students to tell their stories, reveal journeys of perseverance, and heal historical trauma while bridging the academic and personal spheres.

S1 E03 - You Matter, Your Story Matters (Part 1) - Paul Wasko

S1 E02 - Our Past Shapes Our Future (Part 2) - Clarence Chan

A compassionate educator, Clarence Chan, engages diverse and underserved students at LaGuardia Community College in Queens, NY.

S1 E01 - Our Past Shapes Our Future (Part 1) - Clarence Chan

© 2020 Digication, Inc.